Recent Posts

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Run moneyhorse run!


This is a recent piece for the New York Times travel section, it's online now and was published in the past Sunday (Oct 30) paper.

I had tons of fun with this piece but the story isn't necessarily a good news for most people including myself. Major airlines continue to cut flights this holiday season while the number of passengers increase. So traveling will be quite hectic -expensive tickets, packed planes and long lines will be expected.
Many airlines also launched some new policies- basically if you pay more, you can skip the security check line, check in more languages, board the plane before others and even enjoy more legroom....Unless you are one of those who can afford the moneyhorse, this kinda sucks.

Great thanks to AD Corinne and the editors at the Times for letting me run wild with such a practical story.

6 comments:

Jason Raish said...

this one is amazing. you keep hitting home runs

Unknown said...

one of my favorites from you -gorgeous

Raul Allen said...

How big was this printed Victo? You are so crazy with your million s of characters...
I love the horse head and mane. And the decorations
The bag on the top I find a bit distracting. It might have to do with the resolution though. Not sure if it attracks too much attention. What do you think?

Victo Ngai said...

Thank you Jason! Thank you Scott!
Raul-it's not huge but a good size, around 9inches tall?
Good point about the bag, I wanted to have something dark at the top but maybe it does stand out too much....any other thoughts?

Jason Raish said...

i keep looking at this one and being so jealous that guys like you and chris buzelli get away with illustrating all these animals and fantastical stuff and the art directors accept it and love it and i get stuck doing guys in suits and money in offices. whenever i try to submit sketches like this i just get shot down. so jealous

Victo Ngai said...

Jason- I was in a very lucky position because Chris Buzelli was my teacher and he taught me everything I knew about illustration. One of them is that, you pick clients just like they pick you- it's mutual.
It's important to realize what you like to draw, push that and try to build a pool of clients who like you for who you are instead of just a hired hand. Kinda like relationship I guess?
Chris Whetzel told me something like that too. It's hard in the beginning of course because a lot of ADs don't buy the animal metaphor thing or more whimsical approaches...